Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Canning & Freezing Season has begun!


Today I started "putting up" a few jars of hot bananna peppers from my husband's little garden. This year, he only planted hot peppers, tomatoes, bell peppers, and cilantro. The oregano comes up every year. He planted WallaWalla onions, which I really like, but they didn't come up because they were planted too late after we bought them, I think.


Each year, I do his favorite hot peppers and I freeze bags of spaghetti sauce from the tomatoes that are leftover after we eat many, many, tomato sandwiches. This means most of the tomatoes for the sauce are purchased from PA farmers.


I don't know how many people do this, but we just love toasted bread with butter, sliced home grown tomatoes, salt and pepper sandwiches. If the bread is homemade, that's even better.


I've included the photo of two of the jars, just because I think jars of home canned fruits and vegetables are so pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment